- Pre-Concept: Go through Central Casting: Heroes of Legend with the GM to create a pre-concept.
- Aspects: Come up with your character’s high concept and trouble aspects. If you plan on taking a Vandagr Style, it will require require an aspect establishing it.
- Name: Name your character.
- Phase One: Describe your character’s first adventure.
- Phases Two & Three: Describe how you’ve crossed paths with two other characters.
- Aspects: Write down one aspect for each of these three experiences. Again, if you plan on taking a Vandagr Style, it will require require an aspect establishing it.
- Skills: Pick and rate your skills. One Great (+ 4) skill, two Good (+ 3) skills, three Fair (+ 2) skills, and four Average (+ 1) skills. Legend of the Steel Monarch is using the following skill list: Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Crafts, Deceive, Empathy, Fight, Gul, Investigate, Lore, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Rapport, Resources, Ride, Shoot, Stealth, and Will.
- Stunts & Refresh: Characters in LotSM start with 3 Refresh and 3 stunts. These can be exchanged for Vandagr Styles and Techniques.
- Stress & Consequences: Determine how much of a beating your character can take.